Monday, August 24, 2015

Stubble

Stubble brushed my neck when we embraced
Pricked my jaw, seared my skin
Little cuts on my cheeks burned like hot salty tears
When my face touched the pillows of my queen size bed
I was tangled in the sheets

The smell of you, sweet like ginger and brown sugar
Remained within the fibers of my black sweater
At the bottom of the curls of my hair
I wore pink lipstick to leave my mark on your crystal wine glasses
It worked, stained

We bumped knees and touched palms
Shared stories of our brothers and lovers
Wringing out the details of our past trysts
I won by breathing you in
You won by lying first

In the past I would have crushed you
Like the end of a hard strawberry candy
Letting your sweet, sugar center soak my tongue before swallowing
Now I am old
Wise

Alone
I feel you
Run my fingers through your hair
Adjust your collarbone
Kiss you, goodnight

No comments: