Thursday, March 22, 2012

How do you eat a soft boiled egg?

Last winter we decided to meet in England for Easter.
As he came in, I tried to smell his presence in the room.
He always smelled of nothing.
We kissed on both cheeks, not letting our bodies touch.

I started my morning with cold hands and soft boiled eggs
He started his by being late and with hot coffee.
The conversation twists and turns made me feel
More dazed with from my warm beer hangover.

My new wool sweater scratched my neck
His new glasses are tortes shell and square.
My arteries atrophied from a restless romance in Romania
His wrist wrecked from snow skiing in Slovenia.

We decided to meet in New York for New Year’s.
As breakfast ended, he smiled.
I smiled back, said nothing and drank my last bit of tea.
We kissed on both cheeks, not letting our bodies touch.

No comments: